Thursday, October 15, 2015

Color: Reeling it Out and Reeling it In

Don't get me wrong, I love color, but every once in a while I feel the need to pare back and work with a very limited palette. It's not unlike eating a pickle with sugar on snow. A change of pace. So here's what transpired on the big wall in my studio this past month. I started out colorful, reeled it in and eased back into it.


Passepartout - acrylic on canvas - 37.5"W × 24"H - more info here

Smoke Filled Room - acrylic on canvas - 38"W × 24"H - more info here

Starline - acrylic on canvas - 53"W × 32.5"H - more info here

3 comments:

  1. One of my painting teachers said the best grays came at the end of the day when he's scrape off his palette (oils) and everything blended to a splendid neutral shade (with a hard to define attitude).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment is apropos, Rob, because I am using pigments from previous paintings as the start of the next one. Same deal. I took me a while to embrace this, coming from a watercolor background where more than 3 pigments = mud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these. It's funny, I am such a fan of your use of color but I am so drawn to Smoke Filled Room. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete