Friday, October 18, 2013

Sketchbook to Watercolor

Lift - pen, ink and watercolor - 9.75"H × 12.75"W
Here are some fairly recent watercolors. When I have time to do a watercolor, I'll look through my sketchbooks for ideas that appeal to me. I like to keep them simple, as I translate the sketchbook ideas directly to the watercolor paper without preliminary drawings. I thought it would be fun to include some sketchbook drawings upon which these watercolors were based.
Triad - pen, ink and watercolor - 8.75"H × 12.75"W
Recurring Thought Patterns - pen, ink and watercolor -8.5"H × 12.5"W
The Name Escapes Me - mixed media - 8.75"H × 12.75"W
This last one came about a little differently. I started this at the end of the day and was disappointed with the penwork under the letters. So I bagged it and went back to the house for dinner a bit bummed.That evening I tuned in Gerhard Richter Paints, a wonderful film about German artist Gerhard Richter's process. (Available on Netflix) After watching that for a bit I felt reinvigorating and headed back to the studio and applied heavy black to the problematic linework and proceeded. Seems I needed Gerhard's permission to work with my mistakes.

See more of my watercolors at: www.halmayforth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment